In two years my son will be old enough to drive. I am not filled with excitement about THAT. I love my children, but the thought of them being on the Vancouver roads terrifies me. It is bad enough that he thinks bum boarding on the streets is a-okay.
Toyota is trying to alleviate my horror and has this fantastic program running across Canada this summer. They have been doing this for 6 years now. kartSTART Presented by Toyota is a unique, ASN Canada FIA Safety Endorsed youth driving program that gives children as young as 10 an initial introduction to driving using go-karts.
kartSTART Presented by Toyota is a unique, ASN Canada FIA Safety Endorsed youth driving program that gives children as young as 10 an initial introduction to driving using go-karts. kartSTART has helped over 4,000 Canadian youth take their first steps into the world of driving.
What kids don’t like go-karts.
kartSTART is a family program. The day starts with a safety briefing. Then, the participants are outfitted in all the safety gear: suits, helmets and gloves. Each participant is given one-on-one instruction on the proper, safe operation of a go-kart. “Our professional instructors take all the time needed to make sure that every youth that gets in one of our karts understands exactly what they are supposed to do to make it go — and more importantly, make it stop,” Russ Bond of kartSTARTsays. The participants are then led around the track behind an instructor for the first on-track session. Each participant gets multiple sessions on the track in the karts. “It’s a full morning of learning,” Bond says. “By the end of the second session, parents are amazed to see their kids controlling a motorized vehicle all on their own.”
This sounds like something all my kids would love. Fun and excitement paired with real world skills that hopefully will make your kids better future drivers.
In 2016, kartSTART has 10 national stops across Canada between July 1 and August 30. Registration can be done online, and the program is offered in English and French. Participation is restricted to 20 participants per program. I am pleased to announce a special Crunchy Carpets promocode! Use KSCrunchyCarpets to save $20 of your child’s registration.
For more information, and to watch a kartSTART day video, visit www.kartSTART.ca or call 647-401-5153 to register.
2016 kartSTART Presented by Toyota Schedule:
• Chilliwack Area – Greg Moore Raceway June 25 to 28 – Chilliwack, BC
• Edmonton Area – Castrol Raceway July 5 to 6 – Nisku, AB
• Red Deer Area – July 8 to 9
• Regina Area – 3 Flags Motorsports Park July 15 to 16 – Lumsden, SK
• Hamilton/Guelph Area – Flamboro Speedway July 25 to 28 – Millgrove, ON
• Toronto Area – Sunset Speedway August 2 to 5 – Innisfil, ON
• Montreal Area – Autodrome August 8 to 11 – Saint Eustache, PQ
• Trois-Rivières – SC Performance August 15 to 17 – Saint-Célestin, PQ
• Moncton Area – Champlain Motorsports Park August 21 to 23 – Dieppe, NB
• Halifax Area – Scotia Speedworld August 28 to 30 – Goffs, NS